The distinctive white googie "Theme Building", designed by Pereira & Luckman architect Paul Williams and constructed in 1961 by Robert E.Mc Kee Construction Co., resembles a flying saucer that has landed on its four legs.

The "Imperial Hill" area (also known as Clutter's Park) in El Segundo is a prime location for aircraft spotting, especially for takeoffs.

Another popular spotting location sits under the final approach for runways 24 L&R on a lawn next to the Westchester In-N-Out Burger on Sepulveda Boulevard.

1947, and "LA" became "LAX." The letter "X" has no specific meaning in this identifier.

"LAX" is also used for the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro and by Amtrak for Union Station in downtown Los Angeles.

The 4th Runway starts near Imperial Highway and ends near the 5th Runway and Westchester Parkway.

24R/06L and 24L/06R (designated the North Airfield Complex) are north of the airport terminals, and 25R/07L and 25L/07R (designated the South Airfield Complex) are south of the airport terminals. There is also a 5th Runway that is Super Long which starts from the park near Sepulveda Boulevard and 92nd Street and ends close to Vista Del Mar Beach Park.

Under "Over-Ocean", departing aircraft continue to take off to the west, but arriving aircraft approach from the west unless otherwise required to approach from the east due to reduced visibility or easterly winds.

As the name implies, "Easterly Operations" is used when prevailing winds have shifted to originate from the east, typically during inclement weather and Santa Ana conditions.

Los Angeles International Airport (IATA: LAX, ICAO: KLAX, FAA LID: LAX) is the largest and busiest airport in both the Greater Los Angeles Area and in the state of California, the third busiest airport in the United States, and one of the largest international airports in the world.

The airport is most often referred to by its IATA airport code (and FAA LID) LAX, with the letters pronounced individually.

Mines Field opened as the airport of Los Angeles in 1930 and the city purchased it to be a municipal airfield in 1937.