It descended about 1,000 feet and its airspeed bled off to 135 miles per hour. The flight engineer attempted to increase engine speed to 2,650 RPM and enrich the fuel mixture, but got no response from the engines except for severe backfiring. Although the fuses appeared to be intact, he replaced the master turbo fuse and all of the individual turbo fuses.

dating the pledge - Sw serial number dating

Here are synopses of Air Force accident reports about some major B-36 crashes.

B-36B, 44-92079, Lake Worth, Texas, September 15, 1949 B-36B 44-92075, British Columbia, Canada, February 13, 1950 B-36B 44-92035, South of Carswell AFB, Texas, November 22, 1950 B-36D 49-2658, Near Perkins, Oklahoma, April 27, 1951 B-36D 44-92050, Fairchild Air Force Base, Washington April 15, 1952 B-36D 49-2661, Ocean off Mission Beach, California, August 5, 1952 B-36H 51-5719, Nethermore Woods, Great Britain, February 7, 1953 B-36H 51-5729, Labrador, Canada, February 12, 1953 RB-36H 51-13721, Newfoundland, Canada, March 18, 1953 SB-29 44-69982, Newfoundland, Canada, March 18, 1953 RB-36H 51-13722, 2 Miles from Ellsworth AFB, August 27, 1954 B-36B, 44-92079, crashed into Lake Worth on the night of September 15, 1949.

I would say about 20% of the aircraft is still visible; all of which is pretty much collapsed or in relatively poor shape.

The remainder either burned on impact or was destroyed by demolition (and is strewn about in tiny little pieces - some 500 meters away from the crash site).

Flight engineer Captain Samuel Baker retarded the spark, set the mixture controls to "normal", and set the engine RPMs to 2,500 to increase the power from the remaining engines.

Unknown to Captain Baker, the vibration from the guns had disabled the electrical systems controlling the spark settings and fuel mixture.

Personal items from the crew (shaving kits, jackets, pens etc.) can all be found inside the fuselage, along with several intact 20mm cannons, and many other items including live ammunition scattered everywhere. The mission continued on the power of the remaining five engines. The gunners attempted to retract the gun turrets, but the failed turrets would not retract. Fred Boyd entered the turret bay, but other problems began to take precedence over the stuck turrets. the number-three engine suffered an internal failure. The manifold pressure dropped to atmospheric pressure.

Vibration from gunnery practice disabled the electronic engine conrols of B-36B, 44-92035 over the Matagorda iasland gunnery range on November 22, 1950. 44-92035 cruised to the gunnery range on Matagorda Island at an altitude of 5,000 feet. Boyd was called out of the bay before he could manually crank the turret down. The fuel flow dropped off, and the flight engineer could not stabilize the engine speed.

The aircraft was taking part in cold weather maneuvers and was returning to home base.