I will be updating this article to see if I can find a version where this did not occur.

Because the files were not changed recently the error message was downloaded and the client could not download the files.

To summarize – we have an OAB that is not updating and clients that cannot update their local copies because the copies are too old.

After we removed, we tested the OAB to see if this would make a difference. Although Microsoft touts that the address book can now reside in multiple locations (CU 7 ) and the generating mailbox can be replicated via a DAG: “This new infrastructure can also take advantage of the high availability architecture of Exchange 2013.

The OAB mailbox can be deployed on a mailbox database that has multiple copies, thereby mitigating a failure mode that occurred in previous releases.” Ironic in that if the OAB generating mailbox resides in a database that has a failed copy, then it could potentially lead to failed downloads.

Check the OAB file location to confirm the dates on the files: The we can run this command (assuming you have one OAB): In the case of my client, the files never changed.

Even tried restarting the Exchange Mailbox Assistant service without any luck.

I created an alternative OAB, connected it to the Default GAL, made that OAB the defualt OAB, and tried to download it through Outlook. The first thing I would do is switch to either web only or mixed (web and public folder).

Then once set, run get-offlineaddresbook | update-offlineaddressbook Wait 20 minutes or so for it to update, then check in the Application log to see if there are any generation errors.

Open up the latest log file in the directory and see what errors are being reported by the client.