Motorcycle junction dating
Park Hall Farm became a visitor attraction in 1998, it is home to the Museum of the Welsh Guards.Old Oswestry, situated on the northern edge of the town, dominates the northern and eastern approaches.There is a tapestry of 40 Oswestry pub signs on display in the town's Guildhall on the Bailey Head.
The ruined hall and camp remained derelict between the wars, Following World War II, Oswestry was a prominent military centre for Canadian troops, then for the British Royal Artillery, and finally a training centre for 15 to 17-year-old Infantry Junior Leaders. During the 1970s some local licensed wildfowlers discharged their shotguns at some passing ducks and were shot themselves by a young military guard, who had mistaken them for an attacking IRA force.
The area previously occupied by the Park Hall military camp is now mainly residential and agricultural land, with a small number of light industrial units.
The town changed hands between the English and the Welsh a number of times during the Middle Ages.
In 1149 the castle was captured by Madog ap Maredudd during 'The Anarchy', and it remained in Welsh hands until 1157.
Music events take place in various venues throughout the town. The town was the home of the composer Henry Walford Davies who became the Master of the King's Musick.
Musical societies include the Oswestry Choral Society and the Oswestry Recorded Music Society. Oswestry was the birthplace of Wilfred Owen, the First World War poet.
Occasionally in the 13th century it is referred to in official records as Blancmuster (1233) or Blancmostre (1272), meaning "White Minster".
Later, Oswestry was attacked by the forces of Welsh rebel leader Owain Glyndŵr during the early years of his rebellion against the English King Henry IV in 1400; it became known as Pentrepoeth or "hot village" as it was burned and nearly totally destroyed by the Welsh.
A civic park named Wilfred Owen Green was opened in the town in 2010 by his nephew Peter Owen and has a 40m labyrinth, one of the largest in the world.
There is also a plaque and stone bench dedicated to the poet in the town centre.
Oswestry has developed a wide range of arts activities throughout the town. It organises a regular programme of films and live performances. Llanymynech Amateur Dramatic Society, five miles away on the A483.