Dating bradford to be published internet dating sites for indians
Although the coal dug from shallow pits was used for household fires it was not of good quality.
In supporting the purchase of Baildon Moor by Bradford Corporation in 1899, William Booth Woodhead, civil engineer and surveyor, stated that coal had been worked there until the last fifteen or twenty years but he believed there was no coal left of commercial value.
It is widely believed that the cottages at Low Hill, Sconce and Moorside were built for miners in the eighteenth century.
With good building stone so accessible, all the cottages, like most others in the district were built entirely of stone, with stone-flagged floors, stone roofs, stone sinks and even stone stairs.
The present church at Baildon was also built of stone quarried at the Eaves in 1847.
The workings here, together with those dotted along the edge of the hill towards and beyond Sconce, below Acrehowe Hill and all over the lower slopes of Baildon Moor were all described as old coal pits on the 1852 Ordnance Survey map.
The hollows left by these workings are vivid reminders of the extent of the mining.
The villages were all built on or near the spring-line.
There were three springs at Moorside of which one in particular, known as Mary Peel's well; provided excellent drinking water.
The 23 cottages were originally known as The Row, a name which aptly describes their lay-out along the lower side of a narrow paved lane, with the moor rising steeply on the other side.