During Reconstruction and the Gilded Age, Jacksonville and nearby St.

coast dating florida jewish west-2coast dating florida jewish west-60coast dating florida jewish west-27

In March 1864 a Confederate cavalry confronted a Union expedition in the Battle of Cedar Creek.

Warfare and the long occupation left the city disrupted after the war.

They soon named the town Jacksonville, after Andrew Jackson. Hart, residents wrote a charter for a town government, which was approved by the Florida Legislative Council on February 9, 1832.

During the American Civil War, Jacksonville was a key supply point for hogs and cattle being shipped from Florida to feed the Confederate forces.

As with much of Florida, tourism is also important to the Jacksonville area, particularly tourism related to golf.

The area of the modern city of Jacksonville has been inhabited for thousands of years.

On September 20, 1565, a Spanish force from the nearby Spanish settlement of St.

Augustine attacked Fort Caroline, and killed nearly all the French soldiers defending it.

Britain ceded control of the territory to Spain in 1783, after being defeated in the American Revolutionary War, and the settlement at the Cow Ford continued to grow.

After Spain ceded the Florida Territory to the United States in 1821, American settlers on the north side of the Cow Ford decided to plan a town, laying out the streets and plats.

In the Skirmish of the Brick Church in 1862, Confederates won their first victory in the state. In February 1864 Union forces left Jacksonville and confronted a Confederate Army at the Battle of Olustee, going down to defeat.